Monday, March 2, 2009

Delicious

Knowing absolutely nothing about Delicious, or tagging, or bookmarking, I found the whole 'Delicious' thing very unappealing at first. Due to confusion of course. And not knowing what it was all about. So starting at the start I read through the info and I think I get it now.

On my home computer I have a 'favorites' folder. I save certain websites into my favorites folder for future reference. However if I am on another computer and want to access a particular website that I have saved in my fav's folder at home, then I'm not going to be able to do that.

If I create an account with Delicious, I will be able to save all my 'favorites' to this account, and then whenever I'm on some other computer I can just go to my Delicious account and find the 'bookmarked' site, and go there. :)

That's the instant benefit I see from using something such as this.

More reading and wandering about the site reveals that there are other benefits. From a research point of view, you'd be able to search all bookmarks tagged 'library' and get back a number of bookmarked sites for that term. You can also narrow down your search by searching for bookmarked sites that contain more than one particular tag...such as 'library' + 'books' + 'children'. Search results are more specific.

It's also a great site for 'discovering' what's out there as I found...unfortunatley time doesn't allow me to travel far today as another destination awaits - Newport - but I'd love to be able to get lost in this site and see where I end up!

No comments:

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog