Thursday, March 26, 2009

Detective Rosie heads north after solving her latest case....

I'm feeling pretty happy with myself today. I did some detective work to try and find the date of death of an ex-resident of Williamstown. The person enquiring had the death notice, but no date.

It's times like this my mind wants to go blank and not think...and I wasted a bit of time trying to locate a certain online resource which I could not find, and then I thought, well why not try the most obvious?? This is what we were taught in Uni! So I clicked on the libraries online databases link and then scrolled down till I found 'Ancestry.com' and then clicked on that and typed in the name of the deceased along with what state (VIC) and got the result he'd been looking for..the date of death along with location of burial (Williamstown).

It was a good feeling afterwards. It's the first time I've had to use 'Ancestry.com' in a work setting and I liked it and found it incredibly easy to use.

I like results! Good results!

Must have a proper look at the other databases and keep in mind for further info. requests.

***



Anyway, work hat off, I am supposed to be loading the bike up with luggage/camping equipment at the moment. Tomorrow morning I'm heading off on a two night ride up to the Snowy Mountains.

I'm heading up via what is supposed to be a great dirt/gravel rd called 'Barry Way'...I think it's got about 70km of dirt on it. Takes you up past Omeo to Jindabyne - from there we're (Marty and me) heading around the Alpine Way and then off up to the Snowy Mtns Hwy and who knows where :)

We're camping each night. Marty has a trangia and burner and I've packed tinned Chunky and powdered mashed potato for tea. I'll grab a bottle of red wine or something tomorrow before we set up camp and sit back under the stars, drink wine, eat tinned Chunky and undehydrated mashed potatos and relax.

I better go pack. And I have to wash my bike jeans tonight because we bought the most delicious Chinese takeaway from Footscray tonight and I loved it so much that I did the 'drink the juices out of the bottom of the plate' thing and it spilt all over my new bike jeans I was wearing....seafood juice too! Smelly!

So wash bike pants...

Pack rest of stuff into bag...

Load it all onto bike...

Bed...

zzzz

Have a great Friday and wknd all - whatever you end up doing! :)

No comments:

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog